Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

2dream
Contributor

LOST

HI all

new to his not sure how things work and not real good with words, so if i say something i shouldn't i will say sorry now. just wondering if someone has any idea about delusional disorder

15 REPLIES 15
NikNik
Senior Contributor

Re: LOST

Hi @2dream 

Welcome to the forums.

Just some quick questions that may help the other members respond.

- Is it yourself that has delusional disorder, or someone you care for?

- Is there any other diagnosis or just delusional disorder?

We're here to help 🙂

Maude
Senior Contributor

Hello @2dream, 

I did reply earlier today but once again my post has vanished without a trace!

Please don’t worry about saying the wrong thing. People are here to learn from and support each other. We all have different experiences and articulate things differently – there is rarely a “right” or “wrong”.

Sorry I don’t know much about Delusional Disorder. Hopefully another forum member with experience with the condition will be able to reply.

In the meantime again, a very warm welcome.

Kind regards, Maude.

trying again

Hi all

My partner has delusional disorder and yes depression comes for a ride with it depending on the strength of the delusion. The vortex opened and we were thrown into the world of the unknown. two worlds that at times can be a thousands of kilomoters apart, with that glass wall inbetween- the life that use to be and the one we have now, do i dream the impossible- to have a fraction of who he was and the life we had. seems everyone has given up, am i trying to mend the impossible. This is only a snipet of all, please any ideas.

Re: trying again

Hi @2dream 

I'm sorry to hear you're in this difficult situation. It sounds like you've been an amazing support to your partner, and coming in here is testament to what a wonderful partner you are.

I haven't seen anyone mention delusional disorder here in the Forums. My understanding though, is that it's a form of psychosis, which is something that is talked about a lot in these forums.

This thread  was started by @Daisy , who posted about her partner. There are some great responses in there, particuarly from @Pax. Pax & Daisy - do you have any tips or words of wisdom for 2dream?

NikNik

Hi @2dream,

Caring for a partner with MI can feel pretty overwhelming. At times they can seem so distant, and you can feel worlds apart. It can be hard trying to separate the illness from the person, but doing this can help. Can I ask how long you've been going through this, 2dream?

While I cannot recall of members who have mentioned experience specifically with delusional disorder. I can think of members whom you may share some common experience(s) with. @Tatsinda @zipper @cheersquad @MrsC have spoken about some of the challenges with caring for a partner with MI, I wonder if they can offer some ideas to 2dream?

Also @Zinoviev and  @Uggbootdiva  often contribute to lived experiences and have spoken about their partner's.  The may be able to offer some insight from a consumer's perspective about how to stay support a partner.

You might also find this link to MIND Australia helpful. MIND is another organisation that works on these Forums. On that link you will find some services for carers. Also, ARAFMI provides  provides support to carers. They may also be able to point out some resources for delusional disorder or talk with you about strategies to care for someone with MI.

Hope this helps,

CB

Hi @2dream

Thanks @NikNik for tagging me and drawing my attention to this post. When my partner had a psychotic episode he had delusions. It was definitely like we were thrown into an unknown world. At first I didn't realise he was experiencing delusions. I woke up in the morning to him experiencing religious delusions at first, and he kept saying things like, "didn't you feel it too during the night?" - referring to an experience he'd had with God dueing the night. He was saying it so passionately and convincingly that I even prayed at one point asking God to show me what I'd missed. Later he insisted he knew my dad haas sexually abused me as a child and that I just didn't remember - and that God was telling him this... I'm so glad I convinced him at the time to just hold off on contacting my dad to confront him (BTW my dad never abused me). I took him to a trusted spiritual friend (and also nurse) to see what she thought was going on. When he tried to kiss someone in the middle of the main st that was the point when I took him to his parents for their help and together we were able to get my husband to hospital. It was a long drive.

Hi Thanks for your help but sorry to bother you all and say that where we live there is a mental health team which has supported my partner, with DD but there is very little support, near none for the other side of MI.Yes we do have arafmi on the end of the phone but not complaining as this is how things work, they are like talking to a brick wall, fair play to them as DD is not well known. My partner has decided to stop all medication and has stopped seeing his case worker and doctors as its just him and me again. Not complaing as i'm sure there is people worse of than me. thanks for the advise. 

Hi

good to hear your apply, not sure how often your partner has grandiose delusions, you have an isight to what i live with day and night, my partner is straight out DD, his delusions are mixed, not any delusional title, cannot seperate the man from the delusional as that who he is and what DD is, could talk the ins and outs on this topic but not going down this road. just good to hear someone could have some ideas about how to deal with it, sorry i have bothered you and i'm relative knew to MI for only 5 years.

Welcome @2dream, I am not sure what DD is? Is it related to DID, Disassociative Identity Disorder. Some people have posted on that topic but I am not sure on which forum.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance