Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

SCORPION
Senior Contributor

How do you cope

Hi I'm just going to put this out there as of late I am have trouble coping. 

Part of my problem is that with my depression and pstd I got physical pain to complete the trilogy. 

This is result of my accident I have constant pain in my left forearm and where the plates hold my pelvic bone together. Physical and nerve pain that is like a burning sensation. That and all the happy people running around at this point in the year.  I am feeling more depressed than normal. 

I was wondering if anyone has any coping methods. 

I don't use any pain meds unless really bad but just constant pain is not a mood enhancing thing to put it plainly. 

How do others cope.

Scorpion

10 REPLIES 10

Re: How do you cope

Hi @SCORPION,

That sounds like a challenging triology to manage. Smiley Sad Being in pain, I think, would make most people feel not quite at their best. It's physically, emotionally and mentally tiring. 

Have you considered Mindfulness? I understand that it can be used to help cope with pain without medication (see link for more info). 

If you're interested in it, we had a Topic Tuesday on it a few months back, which you might be interested in reading over. 

I know of a few members who use it too @kristin @chemonro and @BatGuano. Also, @Neb  I recall that you mentioned you practice Mindfulness, do you use it to cope with pain too?

Another option, @SCORPION could speak to your psychologist (if you have one), and they could discuss some coping strategies with you too.  

Hope that helps,

CB

I'm finding I'm starting to get a bit of back pain at night that is interfering with my sleep. I need to lose some weight and I suspect there may be a touch of arthritis involved too...  I find managing my anxiety and getting enough sleep a constant challenge and this on top seems UNFAIR if you ask me! 

I definitelydo use mindfulness, and medication and ergonomics and seeking medical help... Essentially anything it takes to stay sane. Um, it's not prefect, but coping is better than not coping, right? 

Hi

Thanks for the replys I will look at the mindfulness.  

Have to drive 400 ks tomorrow for xmas only really good thing is when get there can clam tired so slink of any rest without any problem.  Had to put Missy in kennel for a few days so hard cantexplain to a little dog why those pleading big eyes just heart breaking. Next year going to lock front door and make out no one home

That's a big drive for you @SCORPION. Take your time and Missy will be alright..just think how excited she will be to see you when you pick her up!
Nerve pain I reckon is the pits, I experienced just a few days of it with Shingles...mindfulness might help but I am wondering if you could be referred to a Pain Clinic? They are not easily accessible in the country but do sometimes run clinics in major regional centres.
Also, depending on whether you gave hydrotherapy pool nearby..my mum swears by it after 2 hips replacements in 2 years..

Take it slow on the road tomorrow..safe travels 🙂

Hi scorpion and CB,

Pain and depression are old friends.  For me its the stomach, got myself an ulcer there, with acid reflux.

In Buddhist teachings the mind is classified as a sense-organ, among other functions.  The mind sorts and gives meaning to all the data that recieves.

No, its not to say 'Its All In Your Mind'  Pain is real.  What your mind does is learn priorities that keep you from harm.  That's the good news.

The bad news is that my mind and your mind and everyone's mind can learn bad habits.  Call it mental illness if you want, but you then have to call 99% of humanity insane.  Yes I'm saying 99% of people are crazy, hey, so sue me.

What has been learned can be unlearned.  Mindfulness can lead you to be conscious of more of what your mind does.

There's a bloke called Ainsley Meares who wrote a few books about meditation and pain reflief.  Also Ian Gawler, who has the Gawler Foundation.  Both these are Aussies.

Or just google 'mindfulness', or meditation, or cancer meditation.  No adoption of a religion is required.  Either mindfulness is a successful treatment for pain and cancer and all kinds of woes, or its a global cult with millions of followers.

Hope this helps, take care, BG

Hi thanks will look these guys up I used to be able to mentality block pain but due to a twist of fate I seem to have lost this somewhere.
Scorpion

Well its 2 am I just had my nightmare again wife asleep no one else to talk to .

I feel so alone at these times mental  pain physical pain it all seems so much worse in the we hours.

life sometimes seems s unfair I know there are people who are worse off but st these times ijust feel so alone Don't want to wake up my wife but just feel so scared and alone. Would love to g back to sleep but scared what awaiting me in that place.

The wind is howling it still 22 c outside I dont know what to do go for a walk watch the tube so a though I'd just talk to you out there seems a bit silly all of a sudden its not even a live chat I'm typing this and no one is really there anyway. I suppose that im just in a way taking to myself but f I do this than im not thinking about other things. So here I am rambling to a machine . My dog missy has just come to see where I am  she is so sweet and loving I think I'd better go . If I don't pat her she trys to get up on my lap If I dont let her she yaps. So will wake up the wife.

Scorpion

Hi @SCORPION, 

I am new to the forums and just wanted to say hello.

Thanks for your post, sorry to hear you had a tough night.  Sounds like Missy is a great mate.

I hope tonight is a better night.

All the best,

Yogi

Hi @SCORPION hope you are feeling ok this morning. The dreams and nightmates are so sickly real. I hope sharing them gives at lest some relief. Your dog Missy is a loving pet who loves to be cuddled.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance