Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

kenny66
Senior Contributor

Disability Support People Whacked Again

Well the Government and Opposition have made their great big contribution to Mental Health Week.

They have passed laws to make all people under 35 who qualified for the DSP between 2008 and 2011 get reassessed.

This is to move as many people off the DSP as possible on to NewStart, which is $166 dollars per week less than the DSP. 28,000 people who get the DSP will be re examined. ASAP.

Those that get through have to go onto a program of heavy restrictions otherwise they lose their DSP.

There is no program to get Disabled people into work that goes with the changes so all of those that dont qualify will just be plunged into poverty. This is one of the nasties that snuck through with the Social Serviices Bill passed in the Senate.

I guess none of those pollies on both sides, getting their big fat salaries and excessive taxpayer funded super schemes know anyone with mental illness. Otherwise why do they continue to persecute this vulnerable group.

I havent seen the new Disability Discrimination Commissioner getting stuck into the Government about it. She is supposed to look after our interests.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Disability Support People Whacked Again

Hey Kenny,
I agree this sucks - big time.
Kind regards,
Kristiin

Re: Disability Support People Whacked Again

It's so hard to get a DsP anyway. Even I, at 51, am being visited every week at my small part time job by an agent of my disability gently, to ensure I stick with the job. Our reporting requirements are only going to get tougher.

Tam63
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance