Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Milicent
Casual Contributor

Convincing someone to get help

Our son was originally ill 12 years ago around age 24. He drank heavily and still does. He has had a difficult time and ruined all family relationships due to drinking and aggression. He was formally diagnosed with Schizo affective disorder and bi polar and other things about 6 years ago and was on medication. As soon as he wasn't required to take it he stopped. He manages his days with drinking.

He now lives alone and I fear he is lost and will not be able to keep his place. He has had I would say over 50 jobs usually for a week here and there. We can't support him anymore and he will not give up drinking or get correct meds. He takes antidepressants but does nothing else. 

Signs he is seriously ill come and go but nothing changes.

If anyone has an idea I haven't tried I'd be appreciative. Thank you

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Convincing someone to get help

Hi @Milicent Welcome to the forums. I hope you will find some support here. 

It must be so hard seeing someone you love reject the help they need. It's so hard to make someone get help if they don't want to do it for themselves. 

I'm going to pop this thread here as there may be something of use. 

What sort of supports do you have for yourself? 

I'll tag some of our members for you and hopefully they can offer some words of wisdom 💝

@Anastasia @Shaz51 @maddison @Snowie @NatureLover @outlander @BPDSurvivor 

Hi @Milicent and welcome to the Sane forums.

I am sorry to hear all that you are going through with your son. It sounds like you have done so much for him in the past and continue to try and support him now.

Does he see a psychologist or psychiatrist at all?

I don't really have any suggestions for you but hope others have. It must be hard going through this day in day out. Do you have anyone to support you?

Hello and hugs @Milicent 

Has you son have a mental health team that he sees ?? 

Is there anyone that your son listen too or close too ?? 

My husband was on just antidepressants for years and he reacon they weren't working so he would stop taking them and turning to drink which lend him ending up in hospital where they changed his antidepressants and also adding a anti anxiety medication 

My husband still has his ups and downs every day and only drinks 2 glasses of alcohol a day,  has cancelled his health care team and sometimes stops taking his medication 

I put suggestions his way , like saying little things and let him thing about it 

Thank you all so much for your support and some interesting ideas. I'll keep trying, he's in total denial and has no team or MH looking after him at all. xx

Thank you for your help

Thank you , no psychiatrist now.

Thank you I wish you all the best. At least he goes to hospital and they actually do something not like the PA.

@Milicent 

There are some great Sane resources--- fact sheets and guides to read too 

@Paperdaisy , @moderator 

Hey @Shaz51 Thank you! Yes, here you go @Milicent please click here to find them 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance