Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Artvandalay
Contributor

BPD carer

Hi,

I would like to reintroduce myself as it has been a couple of years since I have been on here. My partner has BPD and we have a son (my step son) together and a baby on the way. Pretty tough times at the moment. Hoping I might find some support here.

Cheers

7 REPLIES 7
nashy
Senior Contributor

Re: BPD carer

Hey there @Artvandalay welcome to the Forum. We are here to listen and hold space for you as you need 🙂 Feel free to share a bit about what has been going on for you Heart Speak soon!

Hi @nashy 

Thanks for the welcome. My partner is still in the early stages of DBT and is yet to fully benefit from it. I guess what is causing some stress and pain for me is that she is currently pregnant and each thing, the BPD and pregnancy on its own is extremely tough for someone to go through let alone both at the same time. I feel extremely helpless for both her and our baby. 

hello and welcome back @Artvandalay
how are things going for you?
it sounds quite tough to be trying to help someone who experiences so many emotions as well. I have BPD so can relate to some of what might be happening. I really hope that dbt will be helpful and she will learn to cope as well.
perhaps contacting parentline, mensline or the bpd foundation would be helpful in getting some advice on what might be helpful for your wife and also how to care for yourself as well.

Hi @outlander 

Thanks for the support. I might try and contact these and see if they can help. I have recently been to a therapist but as I couldn't give them a definitive answer of what I wanted to achieve out of the sessions that I should only look at coming back when I had worked it out. Hopefully one of these can help. 

hi @Artvandalay
firstly well done on going to a therapist but I would suggest trying another one. Therapists shouldn't need a definitive answer as to what you want to achieve, that is part of their job; to help you work out exactly that.
do you think youd be open to trying another therapist out?
Carers Australia may actually be able to help you find someone in your area as well. I think they may have a support finder on the website, I haven't been there for a while but they were helpful in many ways previously for me.

Hi @outlander 

I won't lie I was fairly disheartened after meeting with the therapist. This was my second appointment and I was under the same impression as you. It left me feeling like I didn't really have the right to be there. I had a look at mensline after your recommendation and I think I'll touch base with them first before seeking out another therapist appointment.

it can be very disheartening when we get those impressions but don't give up, ive had to change therapists quite a few times and know so many others here have done the same because they weren't a right match.
I hope mensline will be helpful for you as well, you can still use that service even when you have supports in place too if you ever need them @Artvandalay
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance