Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A long rave

@eth  good morning how are you doing today 😊

Reasonably ok thanks @Ant7 .  How are you?  How's your day going so far?

I lay in bed with my head going round and round some things I need to sort out this morning - anxiety - but also knowing I can't do anything about them til Monday.  Haven't had that type of anxiety for quite a while.  It's leveled out a bit now - listening to good music and moving around the forums connecting with people is definitely helping.

this is great for me. sometimes I just need to get it all out, then I'm fine. thank you @eth 

@eththanks for the welcome.

This is probably the kind of thread I need right now. Things are hard. I was diagnosed with Bipolar recently and began taking medication pretty much straight away (which hasn't been the nicest experience). But I'm fairly certain I've been mis-diagnosed. The psychiatrist I spoke to (who gave me the diagnosis - perhaps just a "working diagnosis" but she wasn't very clear about that or anything else) wasn't overly helpful and I've since been in contact with public mental health services in my state.

The suggestion from the public psychiatrist I've seen is that it's more likely that I have Borderline Personality Disorder. Both of these diagnoses (?) are hard to swallow. I have a 6 year old (and spend a lot of time and energy worrying about how my mental health affects her) and a long term partner who struggles with my mental health. We aren't in a great place and generally my life feels like a bit of a mess.

I have a lot of issues with my family and barely see/can't rely on them. Over the last few years I've lost most of my friends, so there's pretty much no support.

I have a psychologist who I see fortnightly, but she's only new and I have years of seeing different psych's and feeling like I'm not getting anywhere.

Thanks for letting me vent! 

You're most welcome @octavia and @Woyapp  Smiley Happy

@Woyapp  I hear you about being in a difficult place right now.  Getting a diagnosis can be really confronting and especially if you get different ones from different psychologists or psychiatrists.  I have bipolar 1 and complex PTSD but was also diagnosed borderline personality disorder many years ago.  In my case I'm sure they've finally got it right, but it took until I was 46 (now 56) to reach the correct diagnosis.  I don't think of it as a label, rather a pointer to research more about.  Getting the meds right can take some time too, and going through adjustments to being on them can be really difficult as it takes a while (sometimes a few weeks) to know if they're working the way they are meant to for you.  I still had a child at home when I was going through the long journey to get to accurate diagnosis.  You can only do the best you are able to at any given time, and forgive yourself for what happens because of your mental health.  Hopefully your partner will be more understanding as you both learn more about what's going on for you and how to best manage it.  For me it's a 3-fold approach that works - psychiatrist for meds, psychologist for therapy (doing EMDR at the moment and it's working really well for me, but CBT and just talking with her is helpful too), and self-management and maintaining 'insight' into where I'm at.  Being able to recognise triggers, times when things are changing, and form strategies to deal with both has helped me enormously.   Learning what self-care activities work best for calm and focus really helps too.  

That's probably enough from me - bit of a rave - do take care.

@Woyapp I get it. your head is spinning out of control, and that's ok. your taking the right steps to make u feel better. hang in there mate. there are sunny days ahead. in the meantime just take a moment to pause and be calm. find that inner peace for u. it's there, everyone has one, u just have to look for it. will be here to support u through it

Morning @eth 

Hoping to try to relax today. Not  slept well after the funeral yesterday

@cutiepiekitty  hope you have a restful day.

Hey @eth
🙂

Hey @MDT  how are you today?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance