Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Powderfinger
Senior Contributor

Worried about me and my capacity to work.

I'm in two minds and need some input. I know I'm very unwell at the moment. Mentally and physically. I work for myself. I have not been working because of the aforementioned. The thing is it's creating more stress for me financially. I actually love my job. I miss it. I'm in a very deep depression, that I know. I'm think perhaps it will help my depression more than harm it, help me heal more than harm me. I'm thinking of only going back very much part time only. I still need time off work. The upside to working for yourself. You can take time off. I think my mind is playing tricks on me that I can't do it. Going back part time only I feel would be good for me. At the moment, I need lots of sleep but I can't stand being in my head all day. It's not nice in there at all. Thoughts? 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Worried about me and my capacity to work.

I understand how hard it is being trapped in your mind. I am unemployed and volunteer at Vinnie's to escape my brain. I know it is hard at the moment but try to stay active. When there are times you need to rest, read a good book.

@Powderfinger  Hi Ramble I am having up to 9 1/2 hours sleep every night atm because I am just so tired. That doesnt count in the naps I have during the day .... it is crazy. I am not sure if it is the warmer weather or just that my body and mind need it. As for working it is a far distant dream for me. Anyway that is another story. Take good care of yourself and it is nice to finally meet you. greenpeax

@Schitzo  Just wanted to welcome you to the forums. We are a kind and caring community who welcome everyone.Feel free to post on the various threads available when you feel ready. Take care. greenpeax

There is a lot about this that I relate to... The living inside my own mind is the obvious one.  It is a trap, but, I think its sometimes a beneficial one. Like your mind is shutting everything else out, in order to fix itself. ... I also notice, and relate to the insight you already have ... If you think parttime work, is going to do nothing more than help "YOU", it can never be considered a waste of time. ... You're lucky to be in a position of having that option. So, if you feel like it - work an hour a day, even if you don't think it's productive for your business. as long as it isn't a hindrance towards it, I think its a positive first step!   I read something once, that was kind of like ... "doesn't matter if your steps are like teeny tiny fairy steps.. as long as they are going in the right direction"   Good luck. x

I think your right in considering just starting again part time especially if you enjoy what you do which sounds like good incentive and the motivation you need to get you back on track and out of that ruminating headspace. Baby steps yes? I know that being active in body and mind helps with depression so I encourage you to take that leap while your still pondering it. Take it easy physically and listen to your body when it's saying "hey I'm feeling like that's enough for today. I wish you well. 

@greenpea nice to meet you too. I'm really sorry you can't work. That is far from easy living with that. I hope with the rest you are getting it will even itself out soon. 

@Schitzo I'm sorry to hear you are unemployed. No shame in that. You are giving your time to a cause and that is a great thing to do. 

Hi @Powderfinger ,

I think if you miss your job, going back part time sounds like a balance worth trying to give yourself another focus. You mention that it's a job you miss and love so there's two very good reasons give it a shot and see how things turn out. All the best with your decision 🙂

@Caringsoul73 thanks for your input. It's a lot to take on. I'm also writing a book, have professional duties with that and place to be and go. Got my business and I'm studying. It's a lot. It's hard to forge a clear and not do full on path right now. 

Hi @Powderfinger,

That does sound like a lot to take on at the moment for sure. I suppose if your instincts suggest it might be too much then it might be wise to keep that side of things in mind health wise. 
Definitely not an easy thing to balance health and finance etc. 

I wish you all the best. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance