Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

When fighting stigma is too hard

Hi all,

i believe in fighting stigma and and I want to make a difference, it I’m tired. Stigma is all around us, whether it’s mental health, gender identity, ... and I am tired. Sometimes I think it’s better to pull my head in and hide. I haven’t got the energy to explain, explain again, explain all over again and try an make someone understand. I try to go out, I know I shouldn’t isolate, but there’s so much stigma and outright discrimination.

how do you feel and how do you deal with it?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: When fighting stigma is too hard

Hi @Former-Member, we agree with you that we need to fight the stigma. Have you seen SANE Australia's Stigma Pledge and StigmaWatch? You can find out more information on both of these programs here: https://www.sane.org/stigmapledge and here: https://www.sane.org/services/stigmawatch

Hi @Ali11 

yes i I know about the SANE campaigns, but it doesn’t change what people say to me directly. It’s a start if the media and politicians get (at some point) a grip of dealing with these issues, but there is a large proportion of the population who don’t care, not one little bit. And if I need to live in this world and with people, I’ll be confronted with this all the time. And I’m tired of it. Really tired.

That's understandable @Former-Member, society can be a cruel and confronting place at times. Every conversation helps! There's a quote at the end of Cloud Atlas where a lawyer decides to devote his life to abolishing slavery, and his father-in-law (trying to discourage him) says "Nothing you ever do will amount to any more than a single drop in a limitless ocean." The lawyer replies, "But what is any ocean other than a multitude of drops?"
It's a good reminder that even if our individual actions seem small, they add up and can float our ships or wash away the dirt. Sending you love Heart 

@Former-Member sometimes I feel the same... the ignorance and lack of compassion we have to confront is demoralising. There is nothing wrong with retreating for self care. I try to be conscious of when that option is beneficial, but also aware of when isolation is harmful. It can feel like being between a rock and a hard place. Just wanted to say that you're not alone. Take care.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance