Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

saltandpepper
Senior Contributor

Weighted Blankets?

The cookie crumbs keep promoting these weighted blankets to me--like I have anxiety/stress related issues pfft.. I've been really struggling with sleep again lately averaging around 4 hours a night. And I periodically wrestle with PTSD related symptoms that make sleep challenging. I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting one of these glorified blankets, but damn they're expensive. Wondering if anyone has tried them out before and if they're helpful at all?

Cheers folks!

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Weighted Blankets?

Hi @saltandpepper 

It was a game changer for my boy to help him sleep. Yes very expensive.

Put the one you want in the shopping basket...walk away and a couple of days later they'll email you with a discount. Ta la, magic. Worked for me 😃😜

Thanks for the tip @Anastasia 👍

Glad it's helped your boy get his rest

Hi @saltandpepper it was worth the expense for me. I started out getting for one kid with ASD, ADHD anxiety and depression, and soon followed with one for myself - I have bipolar and bad anxiety. Then gave them as gifts to two other family members, who love them. So yes, I'm a convert!

thanks for the feedback @frog 

doesn't make you feel like you're trapped or anything? Llike claustrophobic?

I bought a weighted blanket over 2 years ago and love it. It feels like I'm really held well and safe and can fully relax and settle myself right down. After a while when I am settled yes it can feel claustrophobic and I have to take it off...but the benefits outweigh this feeling and I just take that feeling as the signal that it's time to take it off now.

@saltandpepper 

I've been eyeing them off for ages, to maybe save some money on the power bill. I sleep with the aircon turned down really low so that I can still have a heavy doona over me or I can't settle.

And I'm the neurotypical one!

Interesting @Georgess thanks for the insight. When you start feeling claustrophobic does that override the security you were feeling? Are you just left in that panic like state?

@SJT63 Yeah I'm the same, like having something over me but I also get nightmares where I wake up dripping in sweat--so it's a balancing act.

That's another thing guys, do these blankets make you feel hot?

I 've been getting those adds as well. At first I thought they were automatic-tuck-in blankets (which sounds equally comforting (and frightening(I mean there's such a thing as too heavy or too grabby)).

D.I.Y. person in me thinks, surely you could hand-sew any weight you want.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance