Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Parents Supporting Unwell Adult Children

Good idea! @Shaz51 

@ACETEAM3 

You might find this discussion thread helpful.

Thanks so much

Thank you so much @Former-Member 

I am sure I am going to find it helpful. I will just write a bit about my situation and have been finding it a major trigger for my anxiety which can become debilitating so feel having a resource like this may help.

my eldest of three daughters had a psychotic event at the end of grade 12 when 17 and was successfully put on meds. She still continued on to uni and moved out and all seems fine for a while until to psychiatrist started to whean her off of them and it started again. She then moved home and spent a year just recovering.  Funnily enough there was no dramatic " diagnosis" but I think the writing is on the wall and it is schizophrenia. Paranoid schizophrenia? She is a different person and has absolutely no drive to do much. She functions but is very needy. Needs my approval and constant support. I find it wearing and at times have no patience but then feel bad for needing space and needing to give of myself to the other two. It can't always be about her. I sometimes find myself forgetting that it is her illness that makes her this way and I have to remind myself of this and be patient.
anyway thanks for reading and am glad I have found a safe and understanding place where I can vent. Many people do not understand and don't want you to talk to them about this type of thing so it is hard

As my user name suggests  - I'm on my own supporting my son. Exhausted. Can't remember what life was before his MI. I have boundaries  which help me feel in control a bit (or the illusion of control). I often think of just giving up on him but can't. He has no one but me. He has a father & sister who obviously can't cope with him. What makes them think I can? Mothers' love... certainly keeps us in situations where others fear to tread. 

Agreed @OnMyOwn ....

Hi and welcome to the forums ..... and you too @ACETEAM3 ๐Ÿ‘‹

Its a real oasis to find a place where people:

A. Understand

B. Care

C. Offer helpful advice and support

D. Or just listen and sit with you

Thank you for this space to share my experience in a private and supportive environment.

I have recently discovered that my son has done a couple of things that are SO disappointing, So out of character, SO selfish, SO disrespectful and SO harmful.

Yet I love him unconditionally.

At present the repercussions of his actions have put him in a dark place and I need to support him through his own demons putting a lid on my anger at his complete disregard for my express wishes.,,, and the sheer stupidity...of my young-adult, intelligent son. I'm wondering - Where did i go wrong? How I did I miss the things that were going on right under my nose?

How can we now extricate ourselves out of this situation!

Thank you for this thread. 
I'm a retired father trying to help an adult son manage his  BP.  It's a difficult arrangement and the community in our suburban  neck of the woods are not sympathetic. He is getting professional help now after what I believe was a one night relapse after two good years at home.  The triggers were identified and the result caused a lot of upset and over two weeks in hospital for him. I've been searching for those two years for anything that would give me some advice on how best to help. So yep I think this thread will be a worthwhile place to discuss ways to live with and support our adult children with regard to their bipolar management.

hello and hugs @ACETEAM3@OnMyOwn@Ladasha@Faith-and-Hope@dwenhv , @Former-Member , @greenpea 

@dwenhv, how are you and your son going today 

@Smc@Tufftimes@Appleblossom@catwar , , @spr14@TuiGlen@patientpatient@Susan62@Aria@Elle2@ME22@Needpeace@MrHD 

Hi @Shaz51 

D3 called for some support - she and S2 are both "under the weather" with their MI i

challenges, and both barely functional at the moment.  D3 has hardly eaten in the last day, so asked if I could bring them something to eat (she has been cooking for S2), so I cooked t

some pasta with pesto and cheese, and took them a bag of cut veggies to snack on, cheese and biscuits, nuts.  That will keep them going for a couple of days.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance