Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Arizona
Senior Contributor

Now I'm really depressed

Oh boy, I just had a conversation with a mental health worker and now I'm really depressed, on top of already being depressed. I guess I was expecting some kind of support but I didn't get any. I felt like I was being fobbed off and it was horrible. It made me feel really awful about myself. 

What do you do to feel better after someone makes you feel like crap? I don't know what to do to feel better. I just feel so awful.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Now I'm really depressed

Hi @Arizona 

I'm sorry you feel that way and that you didn't get the support you deserve. 

Firstly when I feel like this I take it hour by hour. I try not to look too far into the future. I just think to myself what I can do to just get through the next hour.

Secondly, this is where a lot of self care is needed. Whether it is having a bath, reading a book, watching a favourite movie, writing in a journal or whatever helps you. Are there some things that you like doing for self care?

Thirdly, and you are doing this now, reaching out for support. If you need one on one support I would suggest that you contact Sane by phone or by chat. Sometimes it just helps to know that someone is listening to us and what we are saying.

I hope this helps you. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to reach out for help, and you are doing that so you should be proud of yourself.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Arizona I'm sorry to hear that speaking with a mental health worker was unhelpful Heart

When I have interactions with someone who makes me feel like crap, I find it helpful to be able to rant a little bit to help get it out of my system. Some people can find writing about it helpful (and then maybe throwing away the piece of paper at the end). Being around good people who remind you of your worth and value is also important- so you're in a good place here! 😊

After those emotions are processed, maybe some self-care or a type of distraction might be nice?

I am not a fan of when that happens. I have known it more times than I care to remember. It's good that there's a range of approaches out there, it's weird that there isn't some sort of system to allocate people to the right places.

I had to end therapy recently and research someone that I could comfortably start from scratch with. It's something a G.P. would do, but they don't have the time. As hand-picked as the new group is, I still find myself having to self-advocate to keep myself out of the wrong pigeon-holes. I would just a bit though and the new person is actually opening up possibilities that I thought I had to close and now I, thinking maybe I don't (specifically she seems almost oddly comfortable about spirituality. Think it could be the Gestalt influence (which is one of the reasons why they stood out)).

I think what I'm saying is, actively finding the right fit, for me at least, is kind of working out. I wouldn't jut recomend it, I'd go so far to say that "help" is only help if it's helpful.

Oh I just came back and caught my Pug drinking my tea. What a naughty boy. You can't leave cups of tea around or he drinks them (and usually knocks them over). He didn't knock it over this time. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Your replies are helping me feel better. You have motivated me to take care of myself.

I had a shower and washed my hair with my salon quality shampoo and conditioner.

I cleaned my teeth. 

I bought a new audio book on Amazon called "How Animals Saved My Life" by Noel Fitzpatrick. I have just downloaded it.

I made some boiled eggs in my little egg cooker. I will give one to my Pug in a minute.

I ate some roasted almonds.

I drank some water.

Oh it's really quiet now. I love this time of day in winter. Once it gets to 5 o'clock I feel like I can start to relax.  

I'm not sure whether to make a chicken risotto for dinner or a salade niçoise. 

I'm starting to feel a bit calmer. I have to give my Pug his egg now 'cause I think he knows it's eggie time.

I made a salade niçoise for dinner. 

I took my vitamins and antidepressants.

I had a good night's sleep (I haven't had a good night's sleep in ages).

I washed my face with a warm face washer. 

I did my affirmation in the mirror.

I'm in bed with my Pug, and my hot water bottle under my feet and a cup of tea, and I'm going to listen to my audio book. 

"I love and accept myself exactly as I am."

Hey @Arizona,

Are you feeling any better?

I'm getting a feeling of inner calm just reading your self care steps. I may just go and do some of these myself instead of being a smelly onion human on my couch.

Thanks,

Exhausted1994

Hi @exhausted1994 

I was feeling much better but then today, a couple of hours ago, someone from my housing agency left a message on my phone. 

I've been having problems with my housing agency ever since I moved here. The situation is very stressful and it's making me very unhappy.

I'm doing my best to look after myself. I have an appointment with my therapist tonight. I wasn't able to speak with her on Thursday.

I am sorry to read that. It is so hard when something that is so important to stability and safety is uncontrollable like that. I struggle to let go of the things that I am the most out of control of.

I hope that your appointment goes well today, and that you have a little bit of peace afterweards, even for a little while.

Exhausted1994

I have fallen into a deep depression. I tried to get myself out of it but it was too hard. There are too many things that are getting me down. I did try. I had a phone appointment with my therapist and earlier today I found a mental health support group in my town.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance