Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Teej
Community Elder

Do something today that your future self will thank you for!

Hi 👋 all.

just thought I’d start this thread for a bit of motivation and possibly inspiration. 02172294-F097-4D7E-9898-27AC68D61850.jpeg

It can be for things as big or as small as you want. It could be anything you’ve been putting off to something that will help you feel good next time you use it like washing your car, or fixing something you’ve been meaning to for ages, or a hobby you’ve neglected ðŸ˜Š

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Do something today that your future self will thank you for!

I’ve personally been trying this occasionally. At the moment I’m trying to establish a good sleep habit again. It starts with showering at night, which sounds easy, but for me seems hard. I’ve started by telling myself that my future self will be grateful when I can establish this habit. I seem to have to keep tricking my brain into these sorts of things now, rather than a goal list that creates emotion and frustration when I’m struggling a bit and don’t get those things done. 

Feel free to share something you’ve done knowing that your future self will thank you for.   💜😊

Hi @Teej and everyone else passing through.

I'm working on building resilience and learning more about methods I can try and employ day to day.  I'm going through a presentation now, its the second one I've looked at.  I've put a quote below which  I think is one of the best take aways so far.

Nassim Taleb, scholar and author of the book, "Black Swan," named by The Sunday Times as one of the most influential books since World War II, said, "Avoiding mistakes makes big ones more severe."

It's a great idea for a thread and look forward to what others suggest.

Oh @Gazza75 That quote is so me 😳:face_with_rolling_eyes:. I’m working on that though and trying to reduce my brilliant avoidance skills, that I’ve mastered 😜

Building resilience sounds brilliant as a goal 💜🤗

Thanks @Teej , just read about your sleep routine now.  I hope it works out for you as getting enough sleep is so important for our well being.  It was pretty much the straw that broke the camels back for Me last year.

Thanks for your support and kindness 🙂 Heart

This is a great thread @Teej! Love your sleep work teej and your resilience building @Gazza75. Go both of you 🎉

Something I did today and have been intentionally trying to do more of is expanding/stepping out of my comfort zone. On my way to my volunteering gig (which in itself is a way out of my comfort zone), I took a different route for the last half of the drive there. Driving/being in unknown places has been really scary for me for a while. Slowly building up my confidence again and challenging my fear of not knowing exactly what's around the corner (literally and metaphorically 😉) is something my present self is having trouble with at times but my future self will thank me for I'm sure 🙂

Looking forward to hearing other's stories 😊

hi @Teej this is a great thread.

Good on you for working on your sleep routine. I recently started getting up at 6am (I simply had to to get ready for a new job, suddenly I'm employed & had to get up 3 hours earlier than I have for years) and have found I go to bed about 9pm or even 8.30pm. As a result, to my surprise my meds are working better, I have more stamina & ability to concentrate throughout the day (two things I'd accepted I'd never have again). Who knew rising early could make such a difference? I hope that you'll succeed in your sleep goals and I'm sure it will bring rewards.

I hiked for a couple of hours in the hills today. I hope my future self will thank me for that as I'm trying to develop fitness.

Great work @Gazza75 on the resilience, such a powerful skill. I'm so reactive & easily enraged I'm not so resilient but really admire that emotional maturity. Great work @CheerBear on getting out of your comfort zone, I find that always pays benefits. 

Awesome @BryanaCamp! I especially enjoyed reading that you've seen an improvement with things you'd accepted you might not have again. That's so encouraging to hear.

Sleep seriously impacts my MH and overall wellbeing too. Interesting to hear you feel your meds are working better with better sleep also. What a huge flow on effect work is having for you!

@Teej  Really good thread.

I have a masters in avoidance techniques also, and yesterday said yes to teaching a group of kinds in therapy how to do dotting. Sounds weird, I know !!!  Its not till the next school holidays, so I have time to organise, which I will do, and do, then do some more.

Really good to read what everyone else is doing. It’s always inspiring, knowing the challenges everyday we all face.

That is amazing progress @BryanaCamp . I’m sure your future self will thank you for all your persistence and hard work. 

@CheerBear  Woohoo 🙌 🎉 you for taking yourself out of your comfort zone driving, I know it’s a scary thing. I’m so glad I live in a smallish city for that although sometimes it’s hair raising here too. 

@Maggie That put a smile on my face. Good for you 😊. I hope it goes well, I’m sure it will. 

Yesterday I did one of those 'putting off things' and did some admin including reorganising some things to save me money. It also included me making some appointment with a dietician (through the enhanced primary care program). I’m hoping my future self will thank me. 😊

thanks all all for sharing. 💜🤗

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance