Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

One thing leads to another  @Shaz51.

@Determined  @Radleritis how are things going with you? 

@Faith-and-Hope  sending gentle thoughts your way. 

Donated a few more moving boxes today. 

Woo, Decluttering - I need to do some....

Adge

Gentle encouragement on offer @Adge . Is there a particular problem area you would like to tackle?

Just general paperwork decluttering @Former-Member

I tend to keep too many printouts of documents, & receipts (or they build up).

It's tedious & time-consuming, to go through piles & throw out.

I need to do it more frequently.

Adge

@Adge Investing in some document folders was the start of my document tidy up.

download (16).jpg

I have dedicated folders for things like:

- current car

- bank a/c

- insurances

- General bills are combined

I do have a lever arch folder where I put receipts/instruction books for electrical appliances and other items.

That sounds like a good system, that works well @Former-Member

I do have some files & folders, but too many things are stuffed into them.

So could definitely be simplified, & cleared up.

Adge

I do have 2 x folder holders with suspension files to keep things contained - one holds current stuff and important papers, the other historical paperwork. (I use one suspender per folder - so as not to overload) @Adge  

The historical paperwork container includes annual general bill folders, tax return folders, other (ie old car info if we traded our vehicle)  for last 7 years.

I found getting  new folders and starting afresh  took the pressure off dealing with the old paperwork. We started filing bills/bank statements in new system as soon as they had been attended to.

Every now and then I would retrieve one or two pages from the old folders and deal with them although I did have a burst of energy one day and sorted a fair bit, putting them in piles on the kitchen table and putting in new folders or destroying as appropriate.

Hi @Former-Member

Things are moving slowly and sometimes very frustratingly, as you would expect in a home where mental health is an issue. Still learning self-control, letting go of things I can not control and taking one day at a time. It is so draining living with someone who struggles but doesn't we all sometimes?

Work in progress!  🙂

@Radleritis 

Learning to let go of what I could not control (as well as what was not mine to fix) was a big one for me and focusing on the things I could do has been a huge part of my ability to cope. 

I think this is why getting things sorted and tidied up has been so powerful for me - it is something that I have been able to control and it has made my life better, in many ways paralleling my own healing.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance