Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Events and updates

chappybro
New Contributor

Walking unsupported from Darwin to Perth.

A little insight as to who I am and why I have chosen to do what I'm currently doing.

To those that don't know me [Edited by moderator] I'm a 28 year old originally from the hunter valley nsw that's walking to make a difference. 

Two years ago on christmas day I lost my best mate to suicide. His name was dylan. 

On father's day last year I myself had a [Edited by moderator] quite serious attempt at ending my own life. Upon being in the hospital and talking with a few people I genuinely felt that to an extent they didn't care, or that I were just another "bloke having a bad day".

Sadly I've come to a harsh realisation that there isn't enough support out there for blokes that go through a struggle, and because of this I have decided to this time walk unsupported from Darwin all the way to Perth in the hopes to raise $250,000 for the Black Dog Institute 

Now I've chosen the black dog institute because they do amazing work here in our country, they are focused solely on making the world a more mentally happier environment for everyone. I know that all funds donated to them are used solely for this purpose and for that I'm grateful. 

I have absolutely no issue facing the elements, and to some degree putting myself at risk out there in the hopes to make a huge difference. 

Life's too short to think about what ifs, life's all about taking chances and making the most of each and every moment we live as we never know when our time will be up. 

I simply want to help other blokes that have hit rock bottom. That have felt there were no other possible way out other then suicide. I'm doing this because I care. And YOU MATTER! More than you can ever imagine possible. 

As I continue on my journey across some of Australia's most beautiful and baron landscapes, I'll be thinking of each and every single one of you. I'll be walking with my head held high and a huge smile on my face. Because that's how this makes me feel, it gives me a sense of peace and happiness within my own life. But at the same time it inspires and helps others out there struggling. 

I would like to take this brief moment to remind you that you are loved, wanted and so very much appreciated and needed on this earth for a greater purpose. The battles that don't get the better of you today are the ones that WILL make you stronger tomorrow. Please keep fighting as it's well worth it. 

Stay blessed 🙏 

#darwintoperth  #blackdoginstitute #mensmentalhealth #mentalhealthmatters #mentalhealthawareness

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Walking unsupported from Darwin to Perth.

Awesome work @chappybro!  I really hope you manage to make your $250K goal for such a great cause.

@chappybro this is my first time hearing of the unsupported walk - sounds amazing, I wish you all the best! 👏

Hi, @chappybroI'm so sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing your story. what you are doing is truly amazing! The world needs more people like you, you should be proud of yourself 👏 I wish you all the best in achieving your goal! Take care 🙂 

Hi @chappybro 

Good to meet ye, now thats one hell of a hike you are going on. There must be some real organising and logistics behind this efforst.  Do you have a web site regarding the hike, how long do you think it will take you.  All the very best.............Asgard

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

For urgent assistance